10 Common Mistakes Made By Business Owners On Website Development
It’s apparent that in this new era of information technology, having a website is important to almost all businesses. However, many business owners, usually from Small and Medium Sized Companies (SME’s) have completed up their websites and then found them not performing to expectations. This is especially common for business owners setting up website for the first time. Here are 10 common mistakes made by business owners, and how to avoid them.
1. Cutting cost and using freelancers. We all know someone or at least know someone who knows someone else who knows a little about web programming. However, the job of a complete website is not to be handled by just one person. You need someone who is creative and has a flair for design to handle the aesthetic portion, and then another person who has a knack at programming to handle the coding. Overall, you need an experienced coordinator who knows the important elements of websites and to propose the right ones to suit your business. Also, engaging a web designer in Singapore instead of outsourcing the job to a less costly freelancer based in another country makes things easier for both parties. As the saying goes, do not be penny wise, but pound-foolish. In other words, don’t compromise on the quality of your site just to cut E-commerce website cost.
2. Selecting a web design company based on Price. Despite it being obvious, many business owners who have just started their website for the first time failed to understand that a lower price quantitatively does not actually equate or work out eventually. There are many elements and services related to web development in Singapore – initial consultation, the number of designs provided, the number of revisions allowed, hosting and email package, embedding website analytic software, submission of website to search engines, etc. Hence, you’d need to select your website designer carefully with all that in mind.
3. Writing contents themselves or using own friends or staffs to write the contents. You may swear that you understand your business more than anyone else but if you are not trained in website contents development, you probably do not understand that these contents play two important roles. Having good contents are important in helping your website be found through search engine. As such, the keywords which you want your customer to find your website have to be planned and written into the contents. Having good copywriters will also increase the chances of you making more sales, as they are able to write better and also incite in your readers an element of trust and invoke the desire to take up your services.
4. Under utilizing the capabilities of their website. As many business owners are not trained in IT (Information Technology) or have sufficient knowledge in the field of web development, they often restrict their website to basic functions, and forgetting that they can achieve higher efficiency by incorporating certain of their operating needs to their website. For a detail list of web applications, please feel free to browse through our website.
5. Losing focus on website’s objectives. Before we start any website development for our clients, we always ask in our Questionnaire – what are the objectives of the website? More often than not, the objectives of many business owners are common – which is to increase sales. Business owners have to keep this main objective in mind, and ensure that the entire web development is set out to achieve this objective.
6. Not knowing what is a Landing Page. A landing page is referred to the page in which your web advertisement will lead your browsers to land upon. It need not be the Home Page, although it’s possible to optimize your Home Page to be a good Landing Page. Most often than not, a sale is done based on the first impression of your clients landing at your website. As such, it’s important to keep in mind in selecting a web design company who understands the importance of a landing page.
7. Not allocating a budget for marketing website. This is especially common for those who are new to website, thinking that their website will automatically have visitors or customers flowing in. Most website design packages these days come with submission to search engines as well as meta keywords. However, these are just basic elements of Search Engine Optimization, and have minimal impact to increase your visitors.
8. Spending time and / or money experimenting on advertising & marketing. Most business owners, especially small and medium sized, tend to think that they can cut cost and handle their own advertising and publicity. However, there are important lessons involved in terms of driving qualified traffic to website. By getting our professional help, clients can concentrate on their main core businesses and leave the job of getting Return On Investment for their advertising campaign to us.
9. Not updating and improving the website. A website is like your best salesman introducing your business to customers walking by. Your best salesman has to be updated with new products or services, as well as what slogans to use that can attract more closure in terms of sales. As such, it is paramount to keep your website updated with new contents, especially if you are using your website to generate enquiries for business. You can do this too by designing different landing pages to compare their efficiencies.
10. Skimping on Images. A nice looking website requires nice looking photographs. Fortunately, these photographs can now be purchased easily through stock banks. There are usually two practices in the web design industry – one offers a certain amount of free photos, which they already factor a lump sum in their packages, while another practices buying what you like only. As such, if you have set aside a certain budget for your website, do consider setting aside for contents development – which also includes purchasing of good images.